Medical Lake, Washington
Medical Lake is a small city in Spokane County, Washington with a population of around 6,000 people. Geographically, the city is located on the eastern side of the county, near the Spokane River. The area has a semi-arid climate with hot summers and cold winters.
The history of Medical Lake dates back to 1876 when the Northern Pacific Railway was built through the area. The town was settled by homesteaders and quickly grew into an agricultural and trading center for farmers in the region. In 1908, Medical Lake was officially incorporated as a city. In recent years, it has become a bedroom community for nearby Spokane.
The economy of Medical Lake is largely based on local businesses and services such as retail stores, restaurants, and medical facilities. There are also several manufacturing plants in the area that provide jobs to residents. Education is provided by two public school districts: Medical Lake School District and Nine Mile Falls School District.
Medical Lake is home to several landmarks such as Fort George Wright Historical Site, Pioneer Park, and Silver Beach Park which offer various recreational activities including boating, fishing, swimming, camping, hiking trails and more. Other attractions include Medical Lake’s annual Water Follies festival which features hydroplane races on Silver Lake every summer as well as Wine & Cheese Festival held every fall at Pioneer Park.
Population: 3,758. Estimated population in July 2020: 4,190 (+11.5% change)
Males: 1,953 (52.0%), Females: 1,805 (48.0%)
Zip code: 99022
Median resident age: 36.3 years
Median household income: $42,159
Median house value: $106,900
Races in Medical Lake:
- White Non-Hispanic (86.2%)
- Black (4.6%)
- Hispanic (4.1%)
- Two or more races (2.3%)
- American Indian (2.3%)
- Other race (1.0%)
- Filipino (0.6%)
Ancestries: United States (16.5%), German (15.6%), Irish (11.5%), English (8.5%), Norwegian (3.3%), Dutch (3.0%).
Elevation: 2420 feet
Land area: 3.4 square miles
Neah Medical Lake is a small town located in the Eastern part of Washington state. It is located about 20 miles from Spokane, and has a population of approximately 1,500 people. The town is known for its peaceful atmosphere, and many people come here to enjoy the outdoors and take advantage of the small-town feel.
The cost of living in Neah Medical Lake is relatively low compared to other towns in the area. The median home price is around $160,000, which makes it an affordable option for those looking to buy a home or rent one. Additionally, the cost of utilities tends to be lower than other towns nearby due to the fact that Neah Medical Lake does not have access to some of the more expensive services that other towns may offer. The town also offers a variety of restaurants and shopping options at reasonable prices.
The population in Neah Medical Lake is diverse with many different ethnic groups represented. There are also numerous churches and places of worship located within close proximity, making it easy for residents to attend services or other events held by their faith group. Lastly, Neah Medical Lake has several schools that serve students from kindergarten through 12th grade which provide quality education for children in the area.
For population 25 years and over in Medical Lake
- High school or higher: 79.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.8%
- Unemployed: 7.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 20.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Medical Lake city
- Never married: 27.4%
- Now married: 58.5%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 3.8%
- Divorced: 8.9%
1.1% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +159 (+4.4%).
Hospital/medical center in Medical Lake:
- EASTERN STATE HOSPITAL (MAPLE STREET BOX A)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Medical Lake:
- DEACONESS MEDICAL CENTER (about 19 miles; SPOKANE, WA)
- SACRED HEART MEDICAL CENTER (about 19 miles; SPOKANE, WA)
- ST LUKE’S REHABILITATION INSTITUTE (about 22 miles; SPOKANE, WA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Medical Lake:
- FAIRCHILD AFB (about 4 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Abbreviation: SKA)
- SPOKANE INTL (about 11 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Abbreviation: GEG)
- COEUR D’ALENE AIR TERM (about 62 miles; COEUR D’ALENE, ID; Abbreviation: COE)
Other public-use airports nearest to Medical Lake:
- FELTS FIELD (about 27 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Abbreviation: SFF)
- MEAD FLYING SERVICE (about 28 miles; MEAD, WA; Abbreviation: 70S)
- CROSS WINDS (about 30 miles; CLAYTON, WA; Abbreviation: C72)
Amtrak station near Medical Lake:
- 20 miles: SPOKANE (W. 221 1ST AVE.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for taxi service, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Note: See jibin123 for a list of Washington graduate schools.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Medical Lake:
- EASTERN WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY (about 9 miles; CHENEY, WA; Full-time enrollment: 7,852)
- SPOKANE FALLS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 14 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 6,284)
- GONZAGA UNIVERSITY (about 19 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,860)
- SPOKANE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 26 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 5,564)
- WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 51 miles; PULLMAN, WA; Full-time enrollment: 18,110)
- NORTH IDAHO COLLEGE (about 64 miles; COEUR D’ALENE, ID; Full-time enrollment: 2,988)
- UNIVERSITY OF IDAHO (about 86 miles; MOSCOW, ID; Full-time enrollment: 9,823)
Public high schools in Medical Lake:
- MEDICAL LAKE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 702; Location: 200 E. BARKER ST.; Grades: 07 – 12)
- MARTIN HALL DETENTION CTR (Students: 55; Location: 201 S. PINE ST.; Grades: 08 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Medical Lake:
- MEDICAL LAKE MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 347; Location: 1010 E. LAKE ST.; Grades: 07 – 08)
- MEDICAL LAKE ELEMENTARY (Students: 300; Location: 250 S. PRENTIS; Grades: KG – 03)
- HALLETT ELEMENTARY (Students: 298; Location: 524 N. HALLETT ST.; Grades: 04 – 06)