Neah Bay, Washington
Neah Bay, Washington is located in the northwestern part of the state on the Makah Indian Reservation. The population of Neah Bay is approximately 2,500 people. It is bordered by the Strait of Juan de Fuca to the north and east and by Olympic National Park to the south and west. The geography of Neah Bay is characterized by its rugged coastline, which features high cliffs and sandy beaches. The climate in Neah Bay is mild, with temperatures ranging from highs in the 60s during summer months to lows in the 30s during winter months. See health-beauty-guides for top counties in Washington.
The history of Neah Bay dates back thousands of years when it was first inhabited by members of the Makah Tribe. Over time, they developed a rich culture and way of life that revolved around fishing and hunting along with gathering traditional plants for food and medicine. In 1855, a treaty was signed between them and the U.S government that established their rights to live on their land as well as hunt and fish within certain boundaries.
Today, Neah Bay’s economy is primarily based on fishing and tourism. Fishing continues to be an important source of income for many residents who harvest salmon, crab, tuna, halibut, cod, shrimp and other seafood from local waters . The tourism industry has also grown in recent years with visitors coming from all over to explore Olympic National Park or take whale watching tours out into nearby waters.
Education in Neah Bay is provided by two schools: an elementary school operated by Makah Tribal Council and a high school operated by Clallam County School District No 1. Both schools offer a comprehensive curriculum that includes Native American studies classes as well as college preparatory courses so students can further their education after graduating high school.
Neah Bay also has several landmarks that are popular among visitors such as Cape Flattery which offers breathtaking views from its rocky cliffs overlooking Tatoosh Island; Shi Shi Beach which stretches for miles along Washington’s Pacific Coast; Ozette Lake which provides excellent kayaking opportunities; Makah Museum which chronicles the tribe’s history; Waadah Island State Park where visitors can explore old-growth forests; and Hobuck Beach Resort where visitors can camp or stay in cabins right on the beachfront.
Males: 439 (55.3%), Females: 355 (44.7%)
Zip code: 98357
Median resident age: 28.9 years
Median household income: $21,635
Median house value: $90,800
Races in Neah Bay:
- American Indian (83.4%)
- White Non-Hispanic (13.7%)
- Two or more races (5.9%)
- Hispanic (5.4%)
- Other race (1.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (2.8%), English (2.3%), Irish (2.0%), Norwegian (1.6%), Czech (1.3%).
Elevation: 20 feet
Land area: 2.4 square miles
Neah Bay, Washington is a small town located in the northwest corner of the state. It has a population of approximately 828 people and covers an area of 1.7 square miles. It is situated on the Makah Indian Reservation and is the home to the Makah Tribe. The town offers stunning views of the Olympic Mountains to the south and has a variety of outdoor recreation opportunities available including hiking, kayaking, fishing, and beachcombing.
The cost of living in Neah Bay is relatively low compared to other parts of Washington State. According to Sperling’s Best Places, Neah Bay’s cost-of-living index is 86.9 which is 14 points lower than the US average of 100. This means that housing, groceries, utilities, transportation, health care and other goods are slightly cheaper than they would be in other parts of Washington State. Additionally, there are no state income taxes in Washington which helps keep costs low for residents.
The median household income for Neah Bay is approximately $28,000 which is lower than both the state and national averages but still provides financial stability for many families in the area. Unemployment rates are also lower than average at 5%, allowing many residents to find employment locally or commute to nearby towns like Port Angeles or Forks for work opportunities. The median home price sits at $154,000 making it an affordable option for those looking to purchase a home in this beautiful region of Washington State.
For population 25 years and over in Neah Bay
- High school or higher: 81.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 8.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.2%
- Unemployed: 24.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 17.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Neah Bay CDP
- Never married: 38.3%
- Now married: 38.8%
- Separated: 4.4%
- Widowed: 3.8%
- Divorced: 14.8%
0.8% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Neah Bay:
- FORKS COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 41 miles; FORKS, WA)
- OLYMPIC MEDICAL CENTER (about 86 miles; PORT ANGELES, WA)
- GRAYS HARBOR COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 111 miles; ABERDEEN, WA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Neah Bay:
- WILLIAM R FAIRCHILD INTL (about 81 miles; PORT ANGELES, WA; Abbreviation: CLM)
- BELLINGHAM INTL (about 147 miles; BELLINGHAM, WA; Abbreviation: BLI)
- OLYMPIA (about 153 miles; OLYMPIA, WA; Abbreviation: OLM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Neah Bay:
- SEKIU (about 24 miles; SEKIU, WA; Abbreviation: 11S)
- QUILLAYUTE (about 31 miles; QUILLAYUTE, WA; Abbreviation: UIL)
- FORKS (about 34 miles; FORKS, WA; Abbreviation: S18)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Neah Bay:
- PENINSULA COLLEGE (about 86 miles; PORT ANGELES, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,374)
- EVERGREEN STATE COLLEGE (about 145 miles; OLYMPIA, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,749)
- SOUTH PUGET SOUND COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 148 miles; OLYMPIA, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,908)
- OLYMPIC COLLEGE (about 148 miles; BREMERTON, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,889)
- WESTERN WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY (about 150 miles; BELLINGHAM, WA; Full-time enrollment: 11,889)
- WHATCOM COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 154 miles; BELLINGHAM, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,656)
- SKAGIT VALLEY COLLEGE (about 157 miles; MT VERNON, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,420)
Public primary/middle school in Neah Bay:
- NEAH BAY HIGH AND ELEMENTARY (Students: 313; Location: 3560 DEER STREET; Grades: KG – 12)